|inhabitants (status 2021)||273|
|district of the community of Nebelschütz||01.01.1974|
The small street village with 280 inhabitants and 1 km east of Nebelschütz has been part of the Nebelschütz community since 1974. It is first mentioned in the history books in 1374 under the name Pazelicz slavicum.
Wendischbaselitz has largely retained its rural character. Even today, the abundance of trees, imposing farms and the many simple houses along the thoroughfare bear witness to the typical Sorbian rural development.
The fact that the Wendischbaselitz district was settled 3000 years ago is proven by a fire burial site of the Lausitz culture. Even today that 196 m high and north-westerly district is called "Spalena hórka" (fire hill). The name can be interpreted in several ways: forest fire, slash and burn or dry, sandy soil on which grain has easily withered.
Active village life comes from the Wendischbaselitz village club (Wjesny klub Serbske Pazlicy) and the Wendischbaselitz carnival club (Serbskopazličanske karnewalowe towarstwo). Other social meeting places are Krahl's Dorfkrug (Kralec hosćeńc) and the Wendischbaselitz youth club (Młodźinski klub Serbske Pazlicy).
Sources: Hans Neumann and Werner Schmidt, "Westliche Oberlausitz between Kamenz and Königswartha", 1990; Heinz Kubasch, "Heimatbuch"
The Wendischbaselitz Carnival Association has been responsible for the fifth season in Wendischbaselitz since 1969. The current prince couple and further information can be found here [⇒]
activities in the village
more information here [⇒]